In 1 Corinthians 12:11 its states, "All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills."
This verse suggests that God gives spiritual gifts to believers as he wills. So how do you know which spiritual gift you have, and how do you even know what the different spiritual gifts are? And why do we have them anyway?
Knowing Your Spiritual Gifts
There are plenty of spiritual gift tests out there, like this one, but below is how I believe you can figure out what your gift is without having to take a big test.
- Analyze your own areas of competence within these categories; ask yourself, “What do I think I do best?”
- Find out what others think you do best. Listen to what others say about you and ask others what they think your strengths are.
- What do you like to do best? God does not want you to be miserable (Philippians 2:13). People often think that serving God means something boring and horrible, when in reality, God wants you to be happy. If He wants you to do something, He will make you want to do it. Do not always assume the will of God is distasteful.
- Be willing to try and see. Sometimes, you can discover your spiritual gifts by trial and error. Volunteer for jobs around the church.
- When you do determine what your gift or gifts may be, develop them for the good of the Kingdom, and use them to the maximum capacity for the body of Christ. Do not try to develop gifts you do not have, you will just make yourself miserable.
Spiritual gifts are supernatural endowments of specific abilities given to believers by the Holy Spirit which enable them to effectively serve the Body of Christ. Paul explains that our gifts work together for the good of the Church just as each part of the body works for the good of the individual (1 Corinthians 12; Romans 12:3-8). Paul uses this analogy because the body of Christ is like the human body. Just as some parts of the body rely on other parts to function, Christians are to work together, relying on one another so that they may all function in unity.
Christians are not to be in competition with one another over spiritual gifts. The church cannot function properly if the members do not work together.
What Are the Different Gifts
The Bible lists the following gifts:
- Discerning Spirits
- Speaking in Tongues
- Interpreting Tongues
In our next post we will discuss the use of each of the gifts listed above and whether or not the Bible is exhaustive or if there are gifts not listed in the Bible.
So what gifts or gifts do you think you have at this point?